Best Accident Lawyers: Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
In the event of a car accident, please contact law firm immediately to speak with one of the attorneys about your car accident law case.
When a driver fails to exercise caution on the road, others are put in grave danger of injury or death. Pasadena Injury Lawyers can assist you if you or a loved one was injured or killed in a car, truck, motorcycle, or pedestrian accident in Los Angeles, CA as a result of another driver's negligence. It can be difficult to navigate the complexities of a car accident lawyer on your own and build a case.
pasadenainjuryca.com car accident attorney can assist you in filing a claim with your insurance company as well as the insurance company of the at-fault driver. In the event of a car accident, please contact pasadenainjuryca.com law firm immediately to speak with one of pasadenainjuryca attorneys about your car accident law case. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Los Angeles County's Dangerous Interstates, Highways, and Roads
Motor vehicle accidents kill over 32,000 people and injure over two million more in the United States each year. Motor-vehicle-related injuries are the leading cause of death for people aged 5 to 34, according to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). California is responsible for nearly 12% of all auto fatalities in the United States. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Los Angeles is well-known for having some of the country's worst traffic (and drivers).
Anyone who has driven on the freeways and roads of Southern California knows how congested and dangerous they can be. Aside from heavy traffic, Angelenos must contend with poor road conditions, sharp curves, fatigued truck drivers, and reckless and distracted drivers who disregard traffic laws. All of these factors contribute to the fact that motor vehicle accidents are common in the area. Los Angeles Uber Accident Lawyer
Statistics show that Los Angeles County has a disproportionately higher rate of traffic collisions and fatalities than the rest of the state year after year. According to the most recent data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 3,623 people were killed in car accidents in 2016, with more than 790 occurring in Los Angeles County. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Southern California's Deadliest and Most Dangerous Roads and Highways
The 110 Freeway/Arroyo Seco Parkway was the first freeway built in Los Angeles. This 8-mile stretch of road from downtown Los Angeles to Pasadena hasn't kept up with the times, with narrow lanes, sharp turns, and no shoulders. Avenue 43's north and southbound exits and entrances are extremely dangerous. Drivers encounter an 80-degree turn with no room to slow down.
Interstate 5/Golden State Freeway - The "five" is an 800-mile-long freeway that runs through the San Joaquin Valley and provides the quickest route between Los Angeles and San Francisco. The drive has no scenery, only a dry barren wasteland. Drivers are frequently irritated and bored by the monotony and end up exceeding the speed limit to reach their destination faster. The fact that many big rigs travel on the 5 adds to the danger. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Interstate 10/Santa Monica Freeway -I-10 is a major east-west interstate highway that runs east from Santa Monica through Los Angeles and San Bernardino to the Arizona border. The 10 is consistently ranked as one of the most dangerous highways in the United States. Congestion, drunk drivers, poor road conditions, and other hazards may be encountered on this road. Is Lyft Operating in Los Angeles
Interstate 15, which runs from Los Angeles to Las Vegas, was previously named the country's deadliest highway in 2010. On this road, drivers are known to speed and change lanes quickly, to drink and drive, and to drive distractedly. Collisions on the California section of I-15 caused over 3,400 injuries and 28 fatalities in 2016. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Interstate 405 - San Diego Freeway: The 405 is the busiest highway on the West Coast, with the highest number of fatalities and injuries per freeway mile.
Interstate Route 101/U.S. Highway 101 – Known as "El Camino Real" by locals, the 101 is a heavily traveled north-south commuter route connecting Los Angeles and Ventura counties with San Francisco and beyond. The 101's most dangerous section begins at the East Los Angeles Complex, where the I-5 meets the 101, I-10, and California 60. Every day, over 430,000 vehicles pass through this intersection. In 2016, there were 40 fatalities and over 7,800 injuries in collisions along US 101. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
California State Route 138 connects Interstate 15 to Palmdale and is also known as the "Death Trap Highway" or "Highway of Death." There have been 875 injuries and 60 deaths over the last 20 years. This road is extremely dangerous due to the steep mountainous terrain, narrow lanes, sharp turns, and sheer drop-offs.
State Route 1/PCH - SR1 is California's longest state route, running along the Pacific coast. The
State Route 126 runs through Ventura and Los Angeles counties, following the Santa Clara River. Because of its long history of fatal accidents, it has earned the moniker "Bloody Alley." Accidents are common along the 7-mile stretch from Hallock Drive in Santa Paula to E Street in Fillmore. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Los Angeles' five most dangerous intersections, ranked:
- Devonshire St. and Reseda Blvd
- Imperial Highway and Vista Del Mar – Playa Del Rey
- Balboa Blvd. and Nordhoff St. – Northridge
- Firestone Blvd. and Lakewood Blvd. – Downey
- Lindley Ave. and Roscoe Blvd. – Los Angeles
Types of Traffic Collisions Most Common in Pasadena and Los Angeles County Back-end collision: When one vehicle collides with the vehicle in front of it, the result is a rear-end collision. In most rear-end collisions, liability is clear because one car was following too closely or was not paying attention. Whiplash and other neck and back injuries are possible for passengers in the impacted vehicle.
Side-impact collisions, also known as T-bones or broadside accidents, occur when the side of one vehicle is struck by the front or rear end of another vehicle. These accidents usually happen at intersections when a driver runs a red light or a stop sign, fails to yield right of way, or turns left in front of oncoming traffic. When a victim is hit from the side, they slam into the car's door or window, which provides little protection. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Car Accident Law Tips
A Step-by-Step Checklist for What to Do After a Car Accident
You've been in a car accident. So, what do you do now? Try to remain calm, no matter how difficult it is. There are several steps you can take to protect your rights. If you follow the guidelines below, you will put yourself in the best position to receive a potential settlement or favorable jury verdict. Contact form for more information on car accident law.
Check for Injuries: If you or anyone else is injured, call 911 immediately and request an ambulance. Give the operator specific information about your location. Even if you believe your injuries are minor, you should have them evaluated by a doctor. Certain conditions, such as whiplash, internal organ damage, and head injuries, do not always have immediate symptoms. It's critical to get your injury diagnosed, documented, and treated for your own health and well-being, as well as the strength of your case. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Move Vehicle Off-Road: If you are in the path of oncoming traffic and it is safe to do so, move your vehicle to the side of the road. Otherwise, activate your hazard lights and/or deploy flares if you have them.
Call the Police: It is critical to notify the authorities so that they can respond to the accident scene and create a traffic collision report. This proves that the accident occurred. If the accident happened on a freeway, the California Highway Patrol will almost certainly be called. If the accident occurred on a surface street within the boundaries of Los Angeles County, the Los Angeles Police Department would respond. When law enforcement arrives, obtain their names and badge numbers so that you can request a copy of the accident report.
Exchange Information: Obtain the names, addresses, and phone numbers of the driver and any passengers. Take down or, better yet, photograph their driver's license numbers, license plate numbers, and proof of insurance cards. Get the names and contact information of any witnesses who saw the accident.
Document Evidence: If you have a cell phone or camera, take pictures and/or video of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, tire tracks, skid marks, broken glass, traffic signs, and so on. Take pictures and/or videos of your injuries, such as bruises, cuts, bleeding, and so on.
Notify your insurance agent and/or company by calling the number on your insurance card or visiting the insurer's website or mobile app. Simply state the facts, nothing more, nothing less.
Notify the DMV: If the accident caused more than $1,000 in property damage or resulted in the death of someone, California law requires you to notify the DMV within 10 days of the accident.
Repair Vehicle: You are free to use any body shop you want for repairs, but many insurers have an in-house network that will bill the insurer directly at discounted rates. We can help you with this process.
Consult a Car Accident Attorney: Call us at 626.792.5888 as soon as possible after the accident, preferably before speaking with the insurance company. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Common Errors to Avoid Following a Car Accident
Certain actions can seriously jeopardize the outcome of your car accident law case. Avoid the following:
- Leave the scene of the accident
- Refuse to see a doctor after the accident
- Skip medical appointments
- Sign a medical authorization release form
- Admit fault to the police, the other driver, passengers, or witnesses
- Give a recorded statement to the at-fault party’s insurance company
- Accept the first settlement offer
- Post pictures or updates about your accident or condition on social media
Factors Influencing the Strength of Your Auto Claim
The strength of your personal injury claim is determined by several factors, including the nature and extent of your injury, the existence of a causal link between your injury and the accident, the quality of evidence, the ability to prove liability, the existence of quantifiable damages, and the availability of insurance coverage.
While each case is unique, there are some general variables that will increase or decrease the amount of compensation received in an insurance settlement or court-based lawsuit. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
The extent of your injuries
The higher the settlement, the worse the injury. Factors that may increase the value of your claim include:
- A severe injury, such as a broken bone or bones, head or brain trauma, nerve damage, or spinal cord damage
- A permanent injury, such as paralysis, amputation, scarring, or disfigurement;
- A long-term or indefinite period of recovery
- Dependence on medication/s
- reliance on medical aids or devices
- Physical or emotional stress caused by the injury
- Diminished quality of life
Soft tissue injuries, for example, frequently result in lower settlement amounts. Sprains, strains, and bruises are examples of these. If any of the following factors exist, an insurance adjuster will most likely devalue the claim: Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
- The majority of your medical expenses were for diagnosis rather than treatment.
- There was no medication prescribed in connection with your injury.
- Short-term medical care
- There is no permanent harm.
- There are no physical or emotional issues, and there is no disruption in life.
- You had a pre-existing medical condition.
Quality of Evidence
In a personal injury case, evidence is critical. You have no case without it. Evidence is required to demonstrate that a.) you were injured, b.) your injury was caused by someone else's negligence, and c.) you suffered losses as a result of your injury. Chang Injury Lawyers understand how to collect, preserve, and present evidence. Here are some of the approaches we could take: Los Angeles Uber Black Requirements
- Conduct interviews with first-hand witnesses (those present at the time of the accident) and expert witnesses (experts in the field that can support your argument)
- Gather documentary evidence
- law enforcement’s accident report
- medical records
- diagnostic test results: X-rays, MRIs, scans, radiology bloodwork/pathology
- photos of accident scene
- photos of injury
- photos of property damage
- dates and times of doctor's and hospital visits, as well as surveillance footage of treatment prescribed
- surveillance footage
- comprehensive list of damages, including medical bills, out-of-pocket expenses, and lost wages
Investigate state traffic laws and cite any vehicle codes or "rules of the road" that may be applicable to your situation. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
A personal injury claim or a lawsuit is based on proving that someone else was at fault for your injury. In order to win a car accident claim, you must be able to demonstrate that
- The other driver had a responsibility to operate his or her vehicle safely.
- This duty was violated by the other driver.
- The accident was caused by the other driver's actions.
- The accident directly resulted in injuries or monetary losses.
- Distracted driving includes talking/texting on a cell phone, eating, drinking, applying makeup/grooming, and wearing earbuds.
- Driving while high on drugs and/or alcohol
- Reckless driving
- Disobeying traffic signals, signs, laws
- Improper turns
- Unsafe lane changes
- Failure to signal turn
- Wrong-way driving
- Failure to stop or yield right of way at intersections
Government Entity Negligence
- Poor road maintenance
- Inadequate or missing road and intersection signage
- Defective road design
- Poorly marked construction zones
Availability of Insurance
In the event of an accident, California requires all motorists to have the following minimum liability insurance coverage:
- $15,000 for injury/death to one person
- $30,000 for injury/death to more than one person
- $5,000 for damage to property
What if I Was Hit By an Uninsured Driver?
If you were in an accident with an uninsured driver, you may be wondering how you can get compensation. Fortunately, if you have the proper coverage in place under your own auto insurance policy, you have options. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
- Uninsured motorist coverage pays for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages caused by an uninsured motorist. Serves as a substitute for the uninsured's liability coverage.
- Collision coverage - pays for repairs; the amount of the deductible depends on your plan.
- Medical Payment (MedPay) coverage pays for medical expenses up to the policy limits.
You might also be able to get reimbursed from your health insurance company.
Were you partially to blame for the car accident?
When liability is unclear, California uses a pure comparative negligence system to assign fault. This means that if you were partially to blame for the accident, you can still recover, but your compensation will be reduced by your percentage of fault. For example, if you seek $100,000 in damages but were 40% to blame for the accident, your recovery would be $60,000. Some insurance policies, such as MedPay Insurance and California collision insurance, pay regardless of fault. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Car Accident Claims Process
Make a claim with your insurance company. When you report your injury to your auto insurance company, the personal injury claims process officially begins. Change Injury Lawyers' car accident attorneys can contact the at-fault party's insurance company and inform them that we are filing a claim on your behalf. We will file a claim with your own insurance company if the at-fault party is uninsured or has insufficient insurance to cover your losses.
Insurance Company Sends Reservation Letter The insurer of the at-fault party will respond to your claim by sending a reservation letter indicating that they are investigating your claim but will not admit liability on behalf of their insured.
The phase of Investigation While you continue to heal and complete your medical treatment, firm begins an investigation to investigate the underlying facts of your case and gather evidence to support your claim. We may engage in activities such as: Los Angeles Car Accident Lawyer Personal Injury Attorney
Send the Demand Package to the Insurance Company We will submit a demand package to the at-fault driver's insurance company as soon as you have recovered from your injury and reached maximum medical improvement — the point at which you have "stabilized." This will be a detailed file that explains how the accident occurred, how badly you were injured, and how the injury has affected your life.
The documentation provided may include all of your treatment records, medical bills, accident photos, police reports, witness and expert testimony, and so on. We will demand a certain dollar amount for all of your losses, past, present, and future. This is usually more than you are willing to accept. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
After we submit the demand package, the claims adjuster will most likely respond with a counteroffer that is lower than what we requested. This begins the negotiation stage, in which we will continue to defend your position and reiterate the severity of your injury and subsequent losses, as well as point to credible evidence that supports your demand.
If a fair settlement cannot be reached after extensive negotiations, we will not hesitate to file a civil lawsuit against the at-fault driver and litigate your case in court.
Drunk Driving Accidents
Truck Accident Lawyer Los Angeles
Any type of motor vehicle accident is terrifying, but truck accidents are especially heinous. Commercial trucks, also known as tractor-trailers, big rigs, semis, or 18-wheelers, can weigh up to 80,000 pounds and have a length of up to 75 feet. Their sheer size and weight endanger smaller passenger vehicles, particularly when traveling at high speeds. The consequences can be even worse if these trucks are carrying hazardous materials such as flammable liquids, radioactive materials or gases, or poisonous chemicals. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Truck accidents are common in Southern California. This is due in large part to the truck traffic generated by local commerce. The streets and freeways surrounding Los Angeles and Long Beach ports are particularly congested. The four highway stretches with the most truck accidents per year are the 710 at the 60 interchanges in East Los Angeles; the 710 between the 105 and 91 freeways; the area where the 60 and 57 freeways converge; and the 710 and the 10 freeways, also in East Los Angeles. Is There a Lawsuit Against Uber
The Complexity of Truck Accident ClaimsTruck accident claims differ from car accident claims in several important ways:
- State and federal laws apply
- There could be multiple liable parties involved (truck driver, trucking company, truck manufacturer, cargo company, etc)
- Insurance coverage is much higher
- Multiple insurance policies at play
Federal and State Trucking Laws
A series of state and federal laws govern the commercial trucking industry, establishing certain standards that truck companies and truck drivers must follow. Most notably,
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) establishes rules centered on:
- Insurance: Trucking companies are required to carry at least $750,000 in insurance per truck. The minimum insurance coverage for a trailer carrying hazardous materials is $5,000,000.
- Hours-of-service: this regulates the minimum amount of time drivers must spend resting between driving shifts and limits the number of daily and weekly hours spent driving and working.
- Size, weight, and route designations of trucks
- Drivers must keep a detailed log of their driving times, inspections, and so on.
- Hiring and Training: Trucking companies must conduct a thorough screening and application process for their drivers, as well as administer drug tests, among other things.
How Pasadena Truck Accident Attorneys Can Assist You
Trucking companies are massive corporations with boundless resources and power. As a victim, you should seek the advice of an experienced truck accident attorney at Chang Injury Lawyers. We understand the nuances of the trucking industry and stay current on all state and federal laws and regulations. When you hire us, we will immediately start working on your claim by doing the following: Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
- Conduct an independent investigation, including a review of the police report, medical records, and other documents related to your accident.
- Determine all parties who may be held liable for your injury.
- Determine whether the trucking company and driver were in compliance with the regulations.
- Examine the driver logs, maintenance and inspection records, and black box data.
- Negotiate a settlement that compensates you for your losses.
- If negotiations fail or if the offer is insufficient, file a lawsuit.
Who is Liable?
You may be able to seek damages from more than one party depending on the facts of your case. The list of potentially liable parties and their negligent actions are as follows.
Truck Driver Negligence
- Distracted driving is prohibited.
- Dangerous and aggressive driving (following too closely, cutting off other drivers)
- Driving while fatigued accounts for 30-40% of truck accidents.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol is prohibited.
- Failure to properly maintain equipment and conduct routine inspections
- Violations of traffic laws include speeding, failing to yield, running red lights, and so on.
Improper cargo securing or loading
Trucking Company Negligence
- Failure to conduct a thorough background check to ensure the driver is qualified for the position
- Failure to provide sufficient training
- Allowing or encouraging a driver to break federal hours-of-service regulations
- Falsifying records
- Allowing drivers to take unbalanced cargo/overloading trailers
- Inadequate inspection and maintenance
Manufacturer of trucks
Faulty truck or trailer parts include faulty tires, brakes, trailer lights or reflectors, jump or pull start, air line or hose, alternator, wiring, transmission, steering wheel, and improper trailer attachment. Best Car Accident Lawyers in Los Angeles
Cargo Supplier/Cargo Holders
Improper cargo packaging or loading at the point of origin
Disclaimer: The information on this website is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. You should seek legal counsel regarding your specific situation. Contacting pasadenainjuryca.com does not result in the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information until we have established an attorney-client relationship.